Monday, May 25, 2015

Therianthropy (Shape shifting)


Derived from the Greek word “Therion” meaning beast and “Anthropos” meaning human. It is used to refer to beings that are partly humans and partly animals. 
It was used to describe creatures in mythology and folklore. Different forms include; Lycanthropy (Man-wolf), Cyanthropy (man-dog), Ailuranthropy (man-cat) etc.
In the western world like in Europe or America theriantropy is a quite controversial phenomenon. The belief is not commonly embraced and those who believe in it or claim to practice it may be considered mentally disordered/insane.

For a long time, this phenomenon has astounded me. Growing up in a deeply spiritual African society I have heard eye witness accounts of witches and wizards taking the form of birds, bats, cats, dogs, spiders, rats and even cockroaches to visit some of their enemies and oppress them. To be frank I too have had my personal experiences but God has been my shield and guardian.  
Sometime Last year in Lagos, Nigeria . A bird reportedly turned into a woman . According to eye witnesses , the bird collided with an electric wire and fell, after which it changed into a middle aged woman and began to confess on how she killed her husband. Only God knows!


 I find myself wondering how man created in the image of God would condescend so low as to take the form of an ugly bat, cat or a smelly cockroach. Despite my experiences I still consider this phenomenon a mysterious one that modern science cannot explain.

by chioma morah

No comments:

Post a Comment