Monday, May 25, 2015

The Cat behind the window


Is it mere coincidence? Or could it be the same cat that was seen just behind the window the night before. 
This question raced through my mind as I quickly strolled past the dead cat in the gutter in a hurry to catch up with the early Sunday morning church service.

One night, while I was on vacation at grandma’s apartment somewhere in Enugu, south eastern Nigeria, I was awakened by the sound of mama firing prayers in the blackness of the night.  With my eyes still battling with sleep I could barely assimilate  what she was saying although I think I heard her say  “You demonic cat, I command the holy ghost fire to strike you dead right now in Jesus name!”
In the morning, She told me she was awakened by  the “meow” of a large scary looking cat standing outside her window frame. The apartment was on the 2nd floor of a storey building and there were no nearby trees, structures, or stair way so I wondered how the cat got itself up to that window.

If you are African, you would know the general perceived significance of a cat by your window in the dead of the night. It can send chills down the spine of even a prayer warrior...Lol.  The next morning a dead cat lay in the gutter just in front of the gate of grandma’s compound. Hmmm...  really mysterious.

by Chioma Morah

No comments:

Post a Comment