Thursday, December 5, 2013

My Life Beyond The Cross - The Sanctified Life


When I gave my life to Jesus, I didn't know what it really meant or entailed. I had just hit puberty, I just turned twelve and was in my second year in high school. All I knew then was that I had always loved Jesus since when I can't even remember but I needed to specially welcome him into my life though I knew he had always been with me. It happened in my school fellowship. I remember vividly, it felt like something strange just got into me, stired my heart and just broke  me. When I returned home that day, I went on my knees and wept soberly.
                                                                                                                     
Naturally, I was a good child but at that point I felt so miserable,  condemned, and empty. I could feel Jesus wipe my tears, take me in his arms and give me a new heart. A heart that I've been too careful not to lose, all these years.
When I just got born again, I was told that everything would just become alright.  As a child then, I fantasised about a perfect sweet life without stress, pain and tears. I was convinced that Jesus would give me every thing I ever dreamt of or desired even if it wasn't part of his will for me. In my opinion, all  I needed to do was just to ask.
Nobody told me that life wasn't going to be easy, never will!
well, they were right anyway, when they said all would become okey because I became an heir of God and a partaker of the grace and salvation that the death of Jesus on the cross provided for us.

As I grew older, I got to learn through personal experiences, some painful and heart aching, that God had to take me through different roads in my journey through life. Some of these paths were narrow, some crooked,  and some full of stones that hurt the feet  and can even make one fall. All these were designed and programmed by God to take me to where He wants me to be, and to mould me into who he wants me to become.

Did God not make it clear in  Jeremiah 29: 11- 13, that he has good thoughts towards us, to give us a good future. Paul also said in Romans 8 : 28 " And we know that all things work together for good to them that  are called according to his purpose"

I also understood that it takes constant and daily effort and sacrificing to remain in Christ. With the new birth, God expects us to conform no longer to the evil desires we had when we lived in ignorance. God expects us to be holy because he is holy (1 Peter 1: 14-16)
Paul knew that as humans, we would have carnal desires so he admonishes us, to see ourselves as strangers or sojourners on earth since we don't belong here. The implication is that we abstain from earthly lust and worldly things that war against the soul (1 Peter 2:11)

In the first few years that followed my new birth, I was afraid of the future.  I feared for the fate of my salvation. Would I remain in the race, or as in the parable of the sower become like the one who received the word but  ends up being carried away and choked by the  worries and problems of the world. Many started out with Christ,  but fell along the way . Some have remained in the race but their hearts are still with the world.
Fortunately for me, I learnt on time that it helps a lot, to spend more time around God, godly people and godly things. Create time to study the word daily, entertain and educate yourself with gospel books, movies and music. Attend gospel programmes.

As God continued to mould me, Jesus became the center of my life and the holy spirit became a permanent resident in me. I developed this insatiable thirst for God and always wanted to involve him in every aspect of my life. I spoke about Jesus all the time and I wanted people around me to see Jesus through me. As far as I'm concerned,  that is Christianity and true Christianity is practical.  The Holy spirit began to teach me, guide me, control and use me. I then realised that I couldn't do many things that people of the world do, enjoy the things they enjoyed, go where they went, say the things they say, or watch the things they watched. My life became consecrated.

I'll be a liar if I say I have lived my life perfectly,  the way Christ wants it. No man is perfect.  I have had my fair share of temptations. There were times I know that I had failed God, by making wrong decisions and disappointing him. But what makes us different as true Christians is the ability to rise when we fall or tend to stray, and retrace our path back to Christ in total repentance  and submission. Every Christian has the ability to live a sanctified life. God has always been my help, God is our strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment